Thursday, March 19, 2009
Kindergarten
When did this get to be so HARD? I mean really? When we were kids we went to the elementary school near our house. There wasn't a choice (unless you went to private school) you went where you were told. Now it is crazy! The fall BEFORE your child is to go to school you start 'touring' schools, then you start applying to them, yeah like college. Then you wait and see if you got in or not. So we looked at this one program, I thought it was wonderful on paper. It is a multi age program. Lauren had been on the list since last fall. I went to the open house and can you believe they didn't tell you one thing about the school program? I have no idea if they do a foreign language program, if they do computer stuff, although I am going to assume they do since there was a computer in the room. Somehow they squish 25 kids in those rooms that don't look big enough for 15. So when they called today to make sure I still wanted a spot I thought I would ask some questions. I explained to the lady my questions weren't answered at the open house to which she said "oh so you don't want your spot? well thanks for clearing that up for me. and no I don't want my spot because if you are already treating us like a number I am not interested in sending my kid there. Of course I do have the option of the school we were assigned to. She is, of course on the list there too. And then there is a local charter school. When we went for the lottery (how they choose who gets in) I had to take the girls with me. Lauren almost had a heart attack when she walked in. They had children's art work all along the hallways, the first thing out of her mouth was mom LOOK they have an art program along with the 3rd highest MEAP scores in the state, Spanish classes starting in Kindy and computers. They also have a 'moral focus class' we are currently 19th on the wait list. The down side is I have to drive the kids back and forth thru 8th grade and I have been itching (bad lately) to go back to work and kindy is only 1/2 day which doesn't give me much time to do stuff with Maya. I guess we wait and see what happens.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment