Tuesday, March 7, 2017

I was not prepared....

So unlike me right?  Sometimes it sneaks up on you.

I did not want to come to Australia.  Not in the slightest little way.  I had finally had a job I liked that worked around the kids.  The girls were growing more independent which was starting to allow me a bit more freedom.  I was comfortable.  As anyone who knows anything about me knows I hate change.  It is usually very difficult for me, but I love my husband.  I have followed him all around the US so what was one more place?  It didn't take me long to come around but he did need to do a careful balancing act of chatting and backing off when needed.  Either my memory is hazy or he is getting good at it.  Either way I think I need to keep my eyes open!

We are now a little over 1/2 way thru our contract.  The thought of going back has hit me hard in the last few days.  Not sure why as I always knew it would come and it is still a ways off but it hit like a ton of bricks the other day.  We discussed it last night at dinner.  One of the girls wanting to know why I wanted to stay here.  She is always helpful and had a counter for each one of my points!  I love that I wake up to the sun about 98% of the time.  Winter has all been a struggle for me as in MI we can easily go for a few weeks without even a hint of sunshine. (ha mom winter here is rainy!)  Even if it rains it isn't SNOW!  It is remarkably safe here (you said home is safe too. yes I did) I don't worry about my children going to school or riding the bus. (not true you gave me a cell phone for the bus!) I love that I am 15 min from the beach. I love that I am an hour train ride into the city which brings so many more opportunities.  Life here is much more relaxed.  I am not pulled in 75 directions at once.  I hope this lesson will go home with me and I will learn the word 'no' and more importantly leave the guilt for said word behind too.

I was not prepared to fall in love with this lovely little place and all it has to offer.  The relaxed pace,  the people, the lovely little cafes, and the sunshine.  I was also not prepared for the mark it would make on all of us.  Every place leaves one but this was the first time it was pointed out to me how much this place must agree with all of us but especially my husband.  I was told how wonderful it was to see him look so relaxed and the biggest smiles they had seem from him in some time.  It was a very true statement.

I will leave you with a picture of my view at the moment.  If anyone needs me I am at "the office" today.  The one place that always brings a smile to my face!


No comments:

Post a Comment