Friday, September 17, 2010

Good bye YTRD

I will never forget the day that Lauren first read an Angelina Ballerina Book and told everyone she came in contact with she was going to take Ballet classes. She was barely 3 at the time and I panicked. Who was gonna teach a three year old Ballet? I, in all my grace, was certainly not up for that task. As any mother would I began a search for toddler dance classes. I got lucky and our local rec center had classes and you only had to be 3. I was over the moon happy. So off we trotted to ballet/tap classes. She fell in love with Ballet. Tap not so much 'because the shoes are slippery' She was super excited when she outgrew that class.

Fast forward 3 years and I now have 2 in dance. Maya wants to be just like her big sister. God Love the child but she is not the dancer Lauren is. She is just starting out, but it looks as if she inherited her mothers grace. Maya doesn't like tap for the same reason either. Those shoes must be very slippery.

Once again this year I diligently looked over the dance schedule trying to make my family happy. I found classes for both girls in AGE APPROPRIATE categories. I even lucked out and got them on the SAME night. This is a very big deal since the rec center is about 30 minutes away. I was already heading there 3x a week so Maya could attend their preschool program. I also take a zumba class there one night a week. Then Miss Lauren made the dance team adding one more night to the mix. In case you are keeping track this puts a minimum of 362 miles a WEEK on my car. A sacrafice I will gladly make for my girls even though 2 nights a week I either greet my daughter in the garage and put her in our car to leave or pick her up from school and quickly drop off our car pool and speed away.

Last night I had to break both their little hearts and pull them from dance classes. They had canceled Maya's original class and their 'solution' was to place her in a class of 2 year olds. She is nearly 5. Last night she walked into the class and said 'I am NOT dancing with babies mother.' I don't blame her. She turned and walked out. mom and big sister trying to keep up.

While I do realize the rec center IS in business to make money their solution to bring my child yet another night to a class or just pull one out was just not feasible. I do however want to thank my friends that offered to bring one or both girls one night a week to give me a bit of a break. Some fail to care I guess that kids actually have a VOICE and an OPINION. In this house we do not ignore that.

So with great sadness we say good-bye to the rec center this year. I should have anticipated this as I knew eventually we would move on. I just wasn't prepared for it to be AFTER classes had started all over town. Lauren was really looking forward to competing, she wants to win ribbons so badly. Maya was dying to get back on stage. She loved the spotlight! I honestly enjoy sitting in the parent wait center chatting with my friends I have made over the last three years. I watched many families grow over the last three years. Some have come and gone but there was a group of us that have been there together the last three years.

I lucked out and on the way home last night I got the girls registered in another program (I had 3 on speed dial since this whole mess started) and they start Monday. They will get to go to the classes THEY WANT which was just amazing considering they have already missed a week. An added bonus is it is even closer to home!

There will be another dance team someday I am sure of it. Both girls will be on stage again in the spring. I will get to see their little faces light up like little Christmas Trees. The costumes, the lights, the music, and their beautiful smiles that made all the running around 110% worth it.

The girls are understandably a bit nervous and afraid of going somewhere new. So am I but I know in my heart we will all be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment