Thursday, August 13, 2015

Student led conferences

The girls have been in school for almost 2 full weeks. We came at an awkward time of year. 3rd term mid way thru. So tonight were conferences.  I was impressed the girls had so much to talk about after such a short time!!

Maya is in 4th grade and it is called 'enviro year'. It's all about the outdoors and things around you. Planting things, raising animals, recycling, even cooking as you enjoy the fruits of your labor. Some cases actual fruit!  They have lemon orange and cherry trees I am sure some others too that I missed. After all it was after dark when we were touring the outdoor space and since it's me I was concentrating on not tripping!!  She was so animated and obviously excited. It was fabulous. She even made sure to get mom a volunteer day and get herself on the list to bring home the guinea pigs. Ugh. :) 

Lauren is in 6th grade and it is multimedia year. They have a green screen for video stuff, a recording booth, tons of computers and other stuff she hasn't had a chance to use so could not explain to us. She told her teacher she isn't stressed like at her old school so she really isn't sure what to do with her time!  That broke my heart a bit. She is used to tons of work and lots of stress that comes with it. Plus she is a perfectionist that also adds stress. Poor thing.  Lauren has to do a service project type thing and she has picked donating food to local food banks. I am so proud of her for that!!

We had a great chat with both of their teachers. It was wonderful. 

Next week we start dance. Wish us luck. She actually needs to audition for class and it's a totally different system. Of course it is! Lol I am amazed by how well they have adapted and are just taking it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment